Financial Services And Consultants, Stock Investment Advice - Home Spacer Investor Insight Spacer Devere Login
Home
Investor Insight
deVere Login
 
 
PIC logo
                 
 
           
 
     
 
 

SIPP

Skip Navigation Links
 

What is a SIPP?

A SIPP, or Self Invested Personal Pension, is a pension fund that gives you more freedom and flexibility over how you invest your money and in a way that fits your risk criteria.

SIPPs work in a similar way as other pensions in terms of tax benefits, contribution limits and retirement options. However, one of the key advantages with SIPPs is the superior choice in investments. In addition, you are in charge of your investments allowing you to decide where to invest your money.

Since regulations surrounding UK pensions changed in 2006, individuals have been entitled to pay as much as 100% of their salary in the scheme each tax year as long as it does not exceed £50,000 (2012/2013). If you are retired or become unemployed for any reason, then you can continue to invest in to your SIPP but it is limited to £3,600 a year.

Within a SIPP and your wider choice of investments to take advantage of, you can build up a secure fund for your retirement. You are also able to consolidate several different pension funds together under one SIPP.

What are the benefits of a SIPP?

While most traditional pensions limit investment choice to a short list of funds, normally run by the pension company's own fund managers, a SIPP allows you to invest pretty much where you like.

 

This includes:

  • Collective Investment Funds - Unit Trusts, Investment Trusts, Open Ended Investment Companies (OEICs), Insurance Company Managed Funds.
  • Stocks and Shares - Equities, UK Gilts, Bonds and other fixed interest securities, Futures and Options, Permanent interest bearing shares.
  • Cash and Deposit
  • Traded Endowment Plans
  • Loans
  • Commercial Property

SIPPS have the same tax benefits as all other personal pensions with the added extra of an upfront basic tax relief offered by the government. This will give your contributions to your pension funds a massive boost. For every 80p you contribute into your pension the government will add another 20p, boosting the gross contributions made by you. This tax relief is claimed on your behalf by your SIPP provider and will automatically be added to your pension fund.

Under changes announced in the 2009 Budget, individuals are now able to contribute as much as GBP255,000 each tax year to their SIPP fund. As long as the fund does not exceed the life time limit of GBP 1.8 million, you are able to take full advantage of your SIPP allowing you to relax in your retirement safe in the knowledge that your finances are maintaining you.

You will be entitled to take 25% of your SIPP fund as a lump sum on commencement of retirement. The remaining 75% must be left to provide you with your pension income. In addition, upon your death the fund can be made available to your beneficiaries potentially mitigating the 55% death benefits tax charge.

All investments within SIPPS will grow free of UK capital gains tax and income tax.

For more detailed information about SIPPs, please visit www.devere-group-sipps.com.
       
Contact Us
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional